Beginning in the late 1740s, Governor Samuel Ogle and his brother-in-law, Colonel Benjamin Tasker, imported a number of Thoroughbred horses, including the incredible Selima, to Belair. Long involved in Thoroughbred racing in the colonies, Ogle and Tasker sought to introduce English stock to the colonies in hopes of strengthening local racing stock. They succeeded. Their mare, Selima, still lives in history and in the bloodlines of many of today’s famous racehorses.
Successful Belair Stable Horses
The Stable, built in 1907 by William Woodward, was part of the 20th century’s famous “Belair Stud Stable,” one of the country’s premier stables from the 1920’s through the 1950’s. Belair was home to Gallant Fox (1930) and Omaha (1935) – the only father/son horses to capture Thoroughbred racing’s famous Triple Crown Series. In 1955, Belair’s Nashua, an incomparable champion, was Horse of the Year. Other champions, including Johnstown, Fighting Fox, and Vagrancy also called Belair home.
Today’s Stable Museum highlights the accomplishments of Belair’s bloodstock over a 200-year racing legacy. It also features Belair’s other agricultural uses and contains a restored 1923 Stablemaster’s living quarters.
The Belair Stable Museum is located just a block from Belair Mansion. Admission is free; donations are welcomed. Tours for groups of 10 or more persons are available by appointment.